I bought the V-Belt pulley drive system by Eddie Motorsports. (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ems-ms107-91cl) I wanted this one for two reasons… One, the V-Belts seem to be more old school which is what I am trying to do with this car. Second, it is anywhere from $900 to $1,200 cheaper than the single belt system. It cost $1,220.00 and included the alternator, Sanden SD-7 Compressor, the water pump, all the brackets and pulleys. It also puts everything in front of the motor and lower than the tops of the valve covers. Ordered it a week and a half ago and UPS dropped off a present for me last week.

First thing I ran into was having to move the motor back. I ran to the local hardware store and bought some new grade 8 bolts and spacers. Got the motor on the hoist and moved it back about 3/4 of an inch. That gives me about 1/4 inch clearance from the steering rack.

After that I started putting all the parts from the kit.  This kit puts spacers in between the water pump and the block.  Moves the water pump out about an inch.  I wanted to make sure it sealed well so I used the gaskets and also used RTV as well.

I then mounted the brackets for the air compressor and the alternator.  As you can see from the photo above the brackets mount on stand offs as well.  Once the brackets are on I was able to mount the AC compressor and the alternator.   I think they look great and the keep the accessories in front of the motor.

I think that will let the big air scoop stand out more.

 

Once the belts were on I tightened them up and went to work on everything else that needs to be done. First was to stab the distributor to make sure that it cleared the firewall.  It does, with enough room to allow setting the timing.

I don’t think it will be much longer before I tune the carb (set the float levels) and then start the motor.

This entry was posted in Engine.